A blank page can be immobilizing. Jumpstart your child’s creative genius with these story starters for kids.
What Are Story Starters?
Story starters are just what the name suggests: they are the start of a story. An opening sentence can tell you so much about the story you are about to read. Think about these famous story starters:
“Call me Ishmael.” (Moby Dick)
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” (A Tale of Two Cities)
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a large fortune, must be in want of a wife.” (Pride and Prejudice)
These opening lines do more than hook your attention, they tell you about the type of story you are about to read.
Why Are Story Starters Helpful?
Story starters are a type of writing prompt that gets kids writing. They become the opening line of your child’s story. They eliminate the most intimidating part of writing (the blank page) and give your child a jumping-off point.
Story starters can inspire, but they can also stretch. You may have a facts-oriented child who would never dream of writing a fantasy story. Once he starts writing, however, he really enjoys imagining and creating.
Give your child a choice of two or three-story starters at a time. He can choose whichever starting sentence as the opening for his story.
25 Story Starters for Kids
- I was walking along a deserted beach when I saw something shiny wash up on the shore.
- I have always taken care of my pet, but that day he/she took care of me. It all started when…
- My brother says rainbows don’t go anywhere, but I set out to prove him wrong.
- It was the hottest day of the summer. I heard the sound of an ice cream truck, but its tune was strange and unfamiliar.
- Bang! Boom! Crash! What was the professor doing in his lab?
- I opened the box of eggs to make myself an omelet, but one egg didn’t look at all like the others.
- Some people are scared of spiders, bats, or the dark. Me? I’m scared of gummi bears.
- The people in the city were on their way to work when the ground shook and the air was pierced with a loud “Cock-a-doodle-doo!”
- I was walking home from school when I heard a soft neighing coming from the woods. I decided to investigate.
- As a pirate, I fear no man! But I shook in my boots the day the tentacle emerged from the sea.
- I opened my eyes after a night of deep sleep. Something was different. My room was upside down!
- I like to watch movies at the theater, but I want the images to stay in the screen! I’ll never forget the day when movies changed for me.
- Some cars are powered by gas, others by batteries. My car is powered by salsa.
- As a world class adventurer, I plunged into the forests of Okabunga in search of its famous treasure.
- One day my oatmeal was so sticky, it glued my mouth closed!
- My cat curled up in my lap. “I wish you would buy me salmon,” he purred.
- When my cousin and I were cleaning my grandpa’s attic, we discovered a dusty, thick book in the corner. When we wiped the dust away, we noticed its pages were trimmed with gold.
- It was the night of my first performance, and I was so nervous! I opened my bag and cried out, “What are you doing here?”
- If you are afraid of heights, you don’t want this job. I have to be totally fearless.
- I went to sink to brush my teeth. When I looked in the mirror, I screamed, “What did you do to my hair?”
- You expect your breakfast cereal to give you energy. You never expect it will make you fly. That’s what happened to me…
- I was in charge of taking care of the class pet for the summer: Buddy the Chameleon. Was it just me, or was Buddy getting bigger every day?
- Dinosaurs are extinct. That’s what they tell me. But I know what I saw that day.
- My brother laughter so hard milk came out of his nose. “What’s so funny?” I asked. But he kept laughing and pointing in my direction.
- Today is the day of the bake-off, and my secret recipe is sure to surprise the judges.
Story Starters Kids Will Love
Discover the magic of story starters. Your child may transition from a reluctant writer to a budding novelist!