Looking for a unique way to grab a students’ attention in the classroom? Try
presenting some weird and unusual facts to your kids. Here are some interesting facts to talk about!
Random fun facts are a great way to get young minds interested in learning and encourage creative thinking.
Some of these facts can be used as a discussion topic, a starting point for writing assignments, or even as a simple icebreaker for students to get talking.
Check out some of these fascinating facts we found to get you started!
Random Fun Facts & Interesting Things to Talk About
Random animal facts
- A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.
- Slugs have 4 noses.
- A tiger has striped skin, not just striped fur.
- It’s physically impossible for a pig to look up.
- A shark can blink with both eyes.
- A shrimps’ heart is in its head.
- Elephants are the only animals that can’t jump.
- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
- A snail can sleep for up to 3 years.
- The horn of a rhinoceros is made of hair.
Interesting food facts
- White chocolate isn’t chocolate.
- Ketchup was once used as medicine.
- Fruit Loops are all the same flavor.
- Ripe cranberries can bounce really high.
- Honey will never go bad.
- An ear of corn usually has 16 rows.
- Popsicles were invented by accident.
- Carrots were originally purple or white, not orange.
- Pretzels used to be a symbol of love.
- Almonds are actually seeds, not nuts.
Fun human facts
- Your nostrils work one at a time.
- Humans are the only mammals that blush.
- Your heart beats about 100,000 times a day.
- The smallest bone in your body is in your ears.
- Hair grows about 6” per year.
- The strongest muscle in the human body is the tongue.
- We each have about 2000 taste buds.
- A woman’s heart beats faster than a man’s.
- It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 muscles to frown.
- It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
Unbelievable and unusual facts about anything and everything
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.
- It is legal to hunt unicorns in the state of Michigan.
- Cookie Monster has a real name. It’s Sid.
- Monowi, Nebraska has a population of 1.
- Nutty Narrows Bridge is a treetop bridge made just for squirrels.
- You can turn orange if you eat too many carrots.
- A can of diet soda will float in water, while a can of regular soda will sink.
- The most difficult town to pronounce is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Wales.
- Barbie’s real name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
- The Four Corners is the only spot in the US where you can stand in four states at once: Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico.
Weird and Unusual Facts
We really hope you had as much fun reading these really interesting random facts as we did putting this amazing list together. From discussion points to essay topics, unusual and wacky facts are a great way to get your students to engage in a bit of fun while learning at the same time.
How will you introduce some of these fascinating fun facts to your students?